This week we read "Super Storms" by Seymour Simon in our Treasures reading books. We read about different types of violent storms such as blizzards, hurricanes, hailstorms, thunderstorms, and tornados. For our weekly writing prompt you will be writing a paragraph comparing and contrasting two different super storms. You will be creating a Venn diagram to prepare you for writing on Friday. Follow the directions below to get started.
Write a paragraph that compares and contrasts two kinds of weather. Include details that explain how they are alike and how they are different.
- Use your Venn Diagram to write your paragraph. You will have 20 minutes to construct a well-written paragraph of at least 4 sentences. (be sure to use words like; same, alike, different, both)
- Meet with your writing partner for 10 minutes to discuss and edit each other's paragraphs. Remember to make suggestions and corrections positively and politely.
- Spend the remaining 10 minutes re-writing your paragraph. Make sure that your handwriting is neat and you have done your best to spell any unfamiliar words.
- Pass your paragraph in to your teacher. After reading them, your teacher will conference with you about your writing and you will be given the opportunity to make further corrections/changes.
- Publish your writing by typing your paragraph in the computer lab!
Share your learning:
Common Core Standards:
- W.2.5 - With guidance and support from adults and peers, focus on a topic and strengthen writing as needed by revising and editing.
- W.2.6 - With guidance and support from adults, use a variety of digital tools to produce and publish writing, including in collaboration with peers.
Venn Diagram tool courtesy of ReadWriteThink.org - http://www.readwritethink.org/files/resources/interactives/venn/